All the STL’s are prototypes subject to change. Please try using the print settings I have listed below first as they are what I used to get the part to mate properly. If you want to experiment later after you have successfully mating parts please feel free.
Please try printing the test grid first. The full grid takes over 4 hours. You don’t want to waste that time and find out the pegs aren’t going to fit.
Please use the comment section for communication (unless it’s easier to send photos/video on Instagram). It is the easiest way to keep track of your feedback!
Printer: Prusa i3 MK3
Material: Inland PET-G
Resolution: 0.3 mm with a 0.4mm nozzle
Wall Lines/Perimeters: 2
Infill: Minimum 20% Gyroid.
Notes: Supports everywhere for the pegs. I also changed the solid layers to 3 top and 3 bottom to speed up printing the grid.
Compact Packout Grid
This only works in the compact (half-width) organizers — both regular and low profile.
Also JakeofAll discovered that you can print these upside down (actually right side up) with no supports — at least on the Prusa MK3. I’d try it out on the test grid first. The advantage of printing it upside down is that the pegs fit a little tighter, but I have another solution that you can test soon.
So printed just like the directions say with Inland PETG+ and had 0 problems, They click in good and don’t look like they will backout .
Printed well and fit tight. I printed a few to make sure it wasn’t luck. I printed supports touching buildplate and the peg on its side with raft and that worked well, albeit, needed some sanding.
Interesting. I would like to print them on their side for additional strength, but depending on the printer, supports can be a real pain.
I tried printing a peg on it’s side, and while it fits okay, it wobbles in the hole way more that the pegs printed standing up. I’m not sure if I can fix that easily.
Interesting, I had no play whatsoever. Lemme look at the settings I have in Cura and see maybe something in vastly different in my settings.
Printed in PLA and fit is perfect. Running a few parts to test OMT blades as I only tried the socket holders. So far so good. Will advise after these parts finish. Software estimate 14 hours to print full plate. Will try that after these finish.
14 hours? That’s excessive. It took me a little over 4.
Are you printing 0.3mm layer height? How about the number of top and bottom layers. Max 3.
Fixed settings and yes a little over 4 hours. Missed the layer height, prior to my previous comment. So far sa good only thing I have found is some smaller sockets have round holes in them vs hex or square all the way through. Did test and can fit my entire hole dozer set in the front of a half size. full height packout box, with the rest of the box still accommodating the other 4 bins.
Thank you and that’s super cool about getting your hole dozer set in with tons of room to spare! Full height pegs are on my to do list and yes, I’m also aware of the smaller hole on smaller 3/8″ sockets. Believe me I’d like nothing more than to just start making what works, but as you can see, I think this is going to be big and I want to get it right.
First I’m working on getting the layout right for a full bottom on the half-width organizers — then the full width. Man nothing is standard from box to box, kinda disappointing engineering, but not surprising as I has the same issue on the toolbox lids.
Only issue I had with the half box is the two standoffs in the front end of the case. made the plate a bit tight to the lid. Totally agree about the boxes all being different. Tested the fit and finish on the OMT standoffs, worked very well.
Thanks again, this is fun! 🙂
I fixed that issue with the standoffs by creating a special plate — I added photos above. It also locks into place so it won’t slide around. But it only works in the compact organizers.
Any chance you will post the full grid file for testing?
Thanks for all you do.
I posted the grid for the compact Packouts. Should work for both regular and low profile.
Just printed the full grid and both pegs. Used print settings mentioned above and fitment is great. I used polymaker PET-G in my Prusa MK3S+.
As mentioned in another comment, full size pegs would be nice. Also text for socket size on the socket pegs would be cool. If the text is near the top but on the side, it would be easy to print in a contrasting colour to make it easy to read.
I’m working on full size hole saw pegs, I’m thinking about full size 3/8″ and 1/2″ socket pegs for deep well sockets. I don’t foresee a use for full size OMT pegs.
Text for socket pegs is harder. 3/8″ pegs would barely have room and some 3/8″ sockets have circular restrictions. Also multi color would require changing filament on the first layer and then printing the negative since they are printed upside down.
As I expected from you – it worked great! I printed with PETG on my Prusa MK3S+. Fit was perfect. Love the design; thanks for letting me be a part of your pilot program.